The Circleville Herald, Circleville, OH, Thu, Oct. 11, 1934
Sylvester Shipley Second of Family To be Killed Rites Friday
Struck by a Pennsylvania Freight train, Wednesday afternoon while he was asleep on the rails in West Holland, Fayette Co section of new Holland. Sylvester Shipley, 79, lifelong resident of that village was dead today. he was the father of Mrs. Herschel Moats, this city. Trainman said Shipley was sitting on the south rail with head clasped in his open hands and his elbows resting upon his knees with his feet upon the ties outside the tracks. The train crew included Engineer Ed Wass, Conductor Frank Singleton, and Brakeman J. U. Dick, all of Lancaster. Dick is a former New Holland man.
The trainman and residents near the Circle avenue crossing where the accident happened say that the "Crossing whistle" was sounded and ?? was a series of short blasts as the train bore down upon him. The engine was slowed down considerably before striking the man and was stopped within two car-lengths. Shipley lived 10 minutes after being struck. His head was lacerated but his body was not mangled. besides the widow the following children survive; Mrs. Moats, this city; Mrs. Jessie Cherry. Mrs. Ella Fanning, Misses Esta and Sylvia, Woodrow and Ray. Two sisters, Mrs. Ella Kephart, of West Virginia and Mrs. Mary Shipley of Nebraska and two brothers, Blufford and Chapman, of the New Holland community, also survive. The funeral will be Friday at 1:30 p. m. at the home with burial in New Holland cemetery by A. W. Kirk. Mr. Shipley's father, Solomon Shipley took his own life by drowning in a pond near the village about 45 years ago while a brother, Willis who was blind, was killed on the Pennsylvania tracks in 1903.

The New Holland Leader, New Holland, OH, Dec. 15, 1903
One of the saddest deaths that has occurred here in some time was that of Willis Shipley Saturday morning. Mr. Shipley was aged about thirty-four years old and had been blind since childhood, having lost his sight as a result of shattering glass while playing with other boys. He was educated in the Columbus Blind Asylum, and was a skilled violinist, but had not played since the death of his mother about three years ago. Since that time he grew more despondent, becoming discontented in the home of relatives and quite frequently he intimated that he would sometime end his existence. Saturday morning he gave some of his trinkets to a little nephew, saying he would not need them longer. He walked up the railroad as he was accustomed to do for a pastime and when near the crossing at Ab. Bryant’s, one-half mile from town, he awaited the approach of the 9:50 eat-bound train, which was late. Hidden behind the cattle-guards on the east side of the crossing, he could not be seen by the engineer. As the train came down the grade at a rate of 60 miles an hour, and when within a few yards of the crossing, Shipley leaned forward placing his throat over the rail. The engineer reversed the engine, but could not stop in time to save the man. The train was backed and the body brought to town where it was taken to the undertaking establishment of Daley & Dunton. The head was horribly mangled, and several bones in the body were broken. The funeral was held from his late residence, the home of his brother, Chapman Shipley, Monday at 1 o’clock, conducted by Rev. Rose, and the remains were interred in the New Holland cemetery.

This page is part of the Shiflet Family Genealogy Website and is maintained by:
Bob Klein / Pasadena MD /